Saturday, April 23, 2011

Bookworm of Gensan reads: The Adventures of Tintin UPDATED!






Tintin and dog Snowy with Spielberg and Jackson

To work up my interest in Tintin whose adventures are translated into a motion capture 3-D film, The Adventures of Tintin: Secrets of the Unicorn,  directed by Steven Spielberg and produced by Peter Jackson and scheduled to be shown this year, I have decided to buy the 7-volume The Adventures of Tintin from Bibliarch-Gensan (actually, only Volumes 1 & 2 are available while the rest are still on order).

As a young child, I was already aware of Tintin and his dog, Snowy. Whenever I read the comics section of the newspapers, there would be a strip of their adventures. But I never really followed the serial strip because I was into Superman, Prince Valiant, The Phantom, Popeye, Nancy & Sluggo  and Flash Gordon in my elementary years and promptly shifted to the adventures of Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys when I was in high school. 

Written by Belgian comics writer, Georges  "HergĂ©" Remi, the 7 volumes contain 21 stories about the exploits of young news reporter, Tintin and his dog Snowy:


Volume 1: Tintin in America, Cigars of the Pharaoh and The Blue Lotus


 Volume 2: The Broken Ear, The Black Island and King Ottokar's Sceptre


Volume 3: The Crab with the Golden Claws, The Shooting Star and The Secret of the Unicorn


Volume 4: Red Rackham's Treasure, The Seven Crystal Balls and Prisoners of the Sun


Volume 5: Land of Black Gold, Destination Moon and Explorers on the Moon


Volume 6: The Calculus Affair, The Red Sea Sharks and Tintin in Tibet


Volume 7: The Castafiore Affair, Flight 714 to Sydney, and Tintin and the Picaros


Not included in the collection are: Tintin in the Land of the Soviets, Tintin in Congo and Tintin and the Alph-Art, which means I have to buy them separately.



I wanted to kick myself while reading Volume 1 - how could I have ignored this comic strip for so long? It was a fun read, it appealed to the the journalist and adventurer in me!  Tintin could give present-day investigative reporters a run for their money and put Mcgyver to shame for his inventive ways with costumes and get-aways (not to mention "lucky" near-misses with the villains in the stories).

Reading it page by page raised my nostalgic longing a notch higher. While literary characters are given modern  spin-offs involving either vampires and/or zombies (like Nancy Drew), Tintin retains his old-fashioned charms and still succeeds to draw the reader into his adventures. 


I can't wait to introduce Tintin to my grandchildren! But first I have to succeed in explaining to them why this character is named Tintin, which of course is baby-talk for the male genital. Then and only then, can I induct them as Tintinophiles, Tintinilites, or Tintinologists. Heheh.

UPDATE: At last, my Tintin collection is complete!

1 comment:

  1. LOl on Tintinophiles, I hope to borrow the first on the series so I'd know if they are any good for my collection too.

    ReplyDelete

HI! Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave your comment :)