Thursday, July 14, 2011

Bookworm of Gensan collects: Harry Potter Books







The endgame is here! Harry Potter, the movie series, is at its end four years after the 7th novel (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) was published. I ordered in advance the first editions of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and lined up for them in 2005 and 2007 at the National Book Store branch in Gaisano Mall, Davao City. I have seen the 7 films based on the novels, but I'm not that eager to line up to be among the first to see the last installment. I have a boxed DVD set of the first five films and I'm definitely going to get the rest to complete the collection.

I have a clear idea of how to promote Harry Potter in the future: Read the books first!

Over the years, I have collected the Harry Potter books by J. K. Rowling. At first, I completely ignored Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I thought it was good for kids and teenagers. But when one of my fave authors, Stephen King, started raving about it, that certainly piqued my curiosity. It was the news that the Harry Potter was encouraging kids to read and making reading cool that made me sit up and decide to buy a copy for myself.


And so I bought the first novel in trade paperback edition and had since replaced it with a hardcover edition I bought from ebay.ph. The rest of the series I bought in hardcover editions; the last two were first editions ordered in advance. When the last two novels were released worldwide, I had to travel three hours by bus to Davao City (116 kilometers from General Santos City) at 3 a.m. and waited in line in front of the National Book Store branch in Gaisano Mall with mostly kids and teeners with their parents at 6 a.m. The noise was unbelievable when a security guard opened the doors and admitted us at 7 a.m. Our wait was rewarded with freebies like Harry Potter posters and bookmarks. The three-hour bus ride home whizzed by because by then I had already started reading the first few chapters.

Other Harry Potter-related books I collected are:
This book was mentioned in the Harry Potter as a textbook in Hogwarts. J. K. Rowling wrote this using the name of the author as specified in the novels.
 
Quidditch fascinated the students of Hogwarts. J. K. Rowling also wrote this using the name of the author as specified in the novels.

The latest book by J. K. Rowling which was a book of fairy tales given by Albus Dumbledore to Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows
These non-fiction books tackle all matters and sundry about the Harry Potter novels. I purposely did not collect books linking the novels to witchcraft and satanic rituals. I personally thinks such books as hogwarts, err, hogwash.
A pop-up book for kids
Definitely Hogwarts!

The latest pop-up book which is more elaborately crafted.
The dragon of Deathly Hallows

Diagon Alley with Harry and Hagrid
Hogwarts, again!

 
Facsimile of the admission letter to Hogwarts received by Harry.
Tri-Wizard Quidditch Tournament with guess-who in the center.

Last, but not the least, books on J. K. Rowling, the creator of Harry Potter and his magical wizarding world.





5 comments:

  1. OOoooooh, I am drooling with all the books you have related to Potter! Pahiram naman nung Harry Potter pop-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, Sir! This is a wonderful collection. I want to read the Quidditch through the Ages. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ayel, pls pm me thru FB your email address so I can send you the ebook (pdf format) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow sir G! inggit ako sa mega collection mo. i had the same experience with every harry potter book release. naalala ko we would order books in advance and line up (skipping work) early at powerbooks just to get a copy! you inspired me to write something about this in my blog! ill place a link to this na din :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lynette g.! Suki! :)
    I'm glad this blogpost has inspired your forthcoming blogpost. Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete

HI! Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave your comment :)